Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Cape Town Part 4. High Speed Jet Boat Crash!!!

We didn't make it to Robben Island. Mainly because the ferry was full, but also because, even if we had of managed to book a ticket, we wouldn't have made it as we spent part of the afternoon in the hospital. Right now Dan sits here with a swollen lip, Kieran has his leg strapped up. I escaped with a scratched pinky!

So, let me start from the beginning. After a very enjoyable stroll around the Victoria and Albert Waterfront, (by the way Jersey, any chance anyone from Jersey could get their buts over here to have a look at a proper Waterfront. Seriously, if anyone at home had bothered to do even the tiniest amount of research, they could have modeled it on Cape Town and we could have had something really good to be proud of, not some half hearted effort with a Cine world, KFC and 2 really naff pubs with the entire area being taken over by chavs and teenage drunks. Rant over!). we made our way down to Quay 5 for Jet Boating. All went well, there were only 5 of us, plus 3 crew, and as we cruised gently out from the harbour watching the occasional seal bob its head up and down amongst millions of sea birds.

Once out of the harbour walls the jet boat really let rip. Within seconds we were it seemed half way down the coast and whilst being bounced up and down at high speeds we caught fleeting glimpses of Table Mountain, Lions Head and Signal Hill, then the 12 Apostles and within minutes we were at Camps Bay. I think! with all the adrenaline rushing through my body I could have been at the North pole and not cared! The skipper showed off by doing a few turns in which it felt like the boat was literally on its side as it did huge donuts in the water, then off again for more high speed performances across the ocean. We stopped every few minutes or so for a rest. We had to. Our arms were in agony from holding on so tight, and the legs, well, what I thought might be a day of rest for them with what I thought sitting down activities, well how wrong was I. It was like riding a race horse with every muscle clenched and knees pressed hard against the seat, those muscles that have ached now for 2 days were getting no respite whatsoever.

As far as enjoyment went this was grade A fun and Kieran's giggling and shrieking almost drowned out the jet engines. I couldn't hear Dan who was in front of us, but occassionaly he would turn his head and I would catch sight of a grin that stretched from ear to ear. It was about half way through the ride when the accident happened. The boat suddenly come to a screeching halt from top speed and suddenly swerved from side to side with such force that Kieran, Dan, myself and the skipper were catapulted right off the side. Now, I have never been that great at measuring distance whilst flying through the air, but the people at the back of the boat said we were thrown about 30 yards or so. Which at about 55 knots could have been more severe if we hadn't had all the safety gear on.

I'd like to say that my life flashed past my eyes, but it didn't. All I could think about was poor old Kieran as I distinctly remember smashing into him first before exiting the boat. Then hitting the water the first time and actually thinking, that didn't hurt, and neither did the second or third time as I bounced accross the surface. The first thing I saw once I got my bearings back was the skipper who looked like the most frightened man I have ever clapped eyes on in my life. The second thing I saw was Kieran who was about 10 yards away from me and I don't think he actually knew what had happened. Anyway, I quickly established that apart from being a bit shaken up he was fine, just a little in shock. Dan hadn't actually been thrown that far and within about 30 seconds he was back on board nursing a cut lip having whacked it on his way out and gave me the thumbs up with a look on his face that seemed to say, I don't know if I enjoyed that or not!

I reached Kieran and checked him over proper and I was thankful that the only thing he really seemed concerned about was that his shoe had flown off on impact and he was more worried about losing it than anything else. In fact he insisted we swam over to that first before making our way back to the boat. By the time we got to the boat we were all smiles and jokes . Although the skipper still looked like had just seen a thousand ghosts doing a jig!

What had happened was that the steering shaft had snapped which caused the jet boat to stop dead at the same time as ensuring the skipper lost total control. A complete freak accident and we were just so thankful that the only damage done was a pair of lost sunglasses and some minor scrapes. Kieran had banged his knee on his way out, either on the boat or it might have been me, and once checked out by the doctor back on dry land it was reckoned that he may have a twist or some minor ligament damage and he has been told to stay off the skate board for a few days. He is of course milking it and the limp become more severe the more people that are around!

The boat company was great and really looked after us and initially we were given a free jet boat ride tomorrow to make up for todays mishap, and as much as the boys wanted to do it all again, I opted for something different and I managed to negotiate a refund, as well as a helicopter ride, a sunset champagne cruise, and some free T-shirts. And a ride home as we were all soaking wet!

So, the rest of the day was spent chilling and we have just dined out on a feast of more Kudo and Squid. The Kudo seems to be a real hit with the boys, who I have been tremendously proud of today. What could have been a far more serious and they know it, they just took in their stride, made the most of it and we have all put it down to just one of those things. Another tale to tell, another thing to add to the been there done that list, and thank God the mishap is over and done with, cos surely lightening can't strike twice. It can't can it. We're diving with great whites on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment