Monday, August 17, 2009

Dundee to Sodwana Bay via the Battlefields.

This morning I showered to an audience. More of that later!

We left Dundee yesterday at 6:00am and drove very slowly to Blood River through what must be the thickest fog I have ever seen. When I stood at the back of the campervan, I could not see the front, and most of the road was through dirt tracks. Our campervan is now quite filthy on the outside and we have written in huge writing on the back in the grime "Smelly Boys On Tour".

As well as Blood River we explored Rorkes Drift and Isandlwana. Here's the history part -

Blood River. On 16 December 1838 a small force of Voortreckers avanged the masacre of Piet Retiref's diplomatic party by crushing an army of 12,000 Zulu's, the river running red with their blood. The battle site is marked by a full scale bronze recreation of a 64 wagon laager. The fog certainly added to the atmosphere here as we walked around the monument and the battlefield.

Rorke's Drift. 22/23 January 1879, 139 British soldiers successfully defended a small mission staition against 4000 Zulu. For more information, watch Zulu!

Isandlwana. This is the site of a battle between Zulu and British soldiers and many graves and monuments mark the spot where many men were killed. For more information, watch Zulu Dawn!

After visiting all those battlefields we drove to Babanango, the sole purpose was to have a beer in Stan's Pub, which was Michael Caine's drinking haunt during the filming of Zulu. We then set off for an 8 hour drive to Sodwana Bay, where I sit now. Our drive took us past a host of small villages and towns where old men would dance to imaginary music in the street and kick out at us as we sped by, and old ladies waved their arms and poked out their tongues.

So, to this morning's main event. Now, for those who think that I have brought the boys to some dodgy camp, or we have run out of money and I am entertaining to replenish funds, you couldn't be more wrong. First let me set the scene. We are staying in the most gorgeous Bandha, with ensuite bathroom. The thing about the bathroom is, that it has no roof. So you are completely open to the elements. There is also a lot of wildlife here, mainly monkeys (of the blue balled variety), deer, warthogs, stoat, hippo and other things that I have not seen before and don't know the name of, and the animals are quite tame and wander in and out of tents and bandhas. This morning, when I took my shower, it was to an audience of a gang of monkeys, all sitting in the trees above my head. quite a unique experience I thought and I quite enjoyed the occasion, that was until I heard one of them laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment